Settler of township lots: Lots 6 & 7, Conc. 6, Stanhope
Location:. Map point is the approximate location on Lot 7, Conc. 6 on the west side of Buckslde Road, north of Walkers Line. Martin Brothers.
- Lot 6, Conc. 6, Stanhope - 1902 from the Municipality of Stanhope for $12. Ontario Land Parcel Register Index - Stanhope Conc.6 (Image 17). In 1898, this lot had been seized for tax arrears of $38.83, by the Warden and the Treasurer of the County and "sold" to the Township of Stanhope in 1899 who then sold it to Joseph Hewitt in 1902. This information is found in Instrument #334 in Volume 95, page 53 - 54 in the Land Registry Deeds Copy book.
- Lot 7, Conc. 6, Stanhope - 1930 from his father, William George Hewitt's will/. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Image 19).
Other land: Lot 5, Conc. 7, Stanhope - 1930 from his father, William George Hewitt's will. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Image 20)
Dates of residency:
- 1901 Stanhope Voters List: Lot 7, Conc. 6
- 1903 Marriage: Margaret Ann Coulter (1876–1964) St. Paul's Anglican Church, Minden
- 1911 Census of Canada, Stanhope: Joseph & Magariet Hewitt at Lot 6, Conc. 6
- 1911 Stanhope Voters List: Lot 6, Conc. 6 & Lot 3, Conc. 5
- 1911 & 1918 Stanhope Post Office Lists: Lot 6, Conc. 6
- 1928 Stanhope Voters List: Joseph & Annie Hewitt at Lots 3 & 4, Conc. 5 & Lots 6 & 7, Conc. 6 with parents, George & Margaret Hewitt
Mrs. Hewitt's 1964 obituary (see below) describes how they lived on a farm for many years at Boskung across the road from St. Stephen's Church which they attended. They retired from the farm in 1945 and moved to Minden village where her flowers drew the attention of the many people who called on her and her husband. The obituary mentions that Joseph Hewitt suffered a stroke c1962 and that she looked after him up until two months before her death, when he went to a nursing home.
Joseph and Margaret Hewitt were married in 1903 in the Anglican Church in Minden and settled own on the Hewitt homestead in Boskung opposite St Stephen's Church. Joseph was a quiet man and didn't care to follow the road of public and political activity as his father had done. Both he and Margaret found their joy in things of the land. Together they established their married life on the principle of the golden rule "Do unto others as you would have them do to you". All through their lives they served their church faithfully and worked hard for the betterment of others in the surrounding community, while never neglecting their home and family. They believed firmly that what one soweth, so will he reap and this was borne out by the high regard felt for them by friends and neighbours. Their home was a place where anyone in trouble could come for help and encouragement. James Hewitt Family History, 1967
- Lot 6, Conc. 6:
- 1880 Charles Edward Thomas from the Crown
- 1887 Joseph Griffin for $200
- 1887 Thomas Griffin for $600- 1899 Township of Stanhope for $38.83 for tax arrears.
- Lot 7, Conc. 6:
- 1877 William George Hewitt (father)
- Lot 7, Conc. 6:
- 1949 David Hyslop
- Kenneth, Harry & Gordon Martin
Link to Settlers of Algonquin Highlands family tree
- Joseph Hewitt, b. 14 Sep 1877, Stanhope, d. 02 Nov 1964, Minden, (Age 87 years). Buried: Minden Village Cemetery
• William George Hewitt, b. 16 Mar 1851, Halton, Ontario,d. 13 Apr 1938, Stanhope, (Age 87 years)
• Harriet Collins, b. 28 Apr 1849 England d. 22 Jun 1910, Stanhope, (Age 61 years)
- Margaret Ann "Maggie" Coulter, b. 15 Jul 1876, Hindon Hill, d. 11 Sep 1964, Minden, (Age 88 years). Daughter of Hugh Coulter. Buried: Minden Village Cemetery
1. Alexander Hewitt, b. 03 Feb 1904, Boskung, d. 17 Jul 1981, Minden, (Age 77 years)
2. Frederic Ernest Hewitt, b. 18 Jul 1905, Stanhope, d. 1977 (Age 71 years)
3. John James Hewitt, b. 22 May 1907, Boskung, d. 04 Apr 1977 (Age 69 years)
4. Joseph Earl Hewitt, b. 25 Mar 1909, Stanhope, d. 31 Dec 2001 (Age 92 years)
5. Minnie May Coulter, b. 10 Dec 1911, Anson, d. 02 Apr 1999 (Age 87 years) [Adopted]
Photo: Left: Joseph Hewitt's 1964 obituary. Stanhope Museum Collection. Accession# 016.01.12.2. Owner/Source Stanhope Museum. File name 01601122.JPG. Right: Obit-Hewitt, Margaret Ann 11 Sep 1964 Minden, Haliburton, Ontario.