Hewitt House

Geographic location: Lot 7, Conc. 6 Stanhope

Current address: 2099 Buckslide Rd

Date range: 1873 to present

Interesting facts: See Joseph Hewitt for more details and photos

Records about this magnificent stone house are few and far between, but we know that William George Hewitt claimed the land in 1873 and that there's a stone outhouse around the back! It was built by a stonemason named King, the same man who built St. Stephen's Church across the road. The house has stood empty since the early 1950s, although it was recently renovated, and remains an icon in the community.

Public access: No

Current use: Private residence

Information source: Stanhope Heritage Driving Tour brochure / Stanhope Museum collection

Photo information & source: