Settler of township lots: Lot 5, Conc. 5, Hindon (Stanhope area)
Location: The map point is the approximate location on this lot which runs north from Brady Lake Road opposite Viceroy Dr on the north west side of Brady Lake.
Land acquisition: 1901 from The Crown. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Hindon (Image 21).
- Lot 7, Conc. 3, Hindon - 1928 from John Boyd; 1971 Subdivision. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Hindon (Image 220).
- Lot 6, Conc. 4, Hindon - 1928 from John Boyd; 1954 to Robert Austin. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Hindon (Image 295).
- Lots 7 & 8, Conc. 4, Hindon - 1943 from James Hill Coulter. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Hindon (Images 313 & 317).
- Lot 9, Conc. 4, Hindon - 1920 from Paul Pfening. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Hindon (Image 320).
- Lot 4, Conc. 5, HIndon - 1955 from The Crown; 1956 to Harry Franklin Austin. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Hindon (Image 11).
- Lot 6, Conc. 5, Hindon - 1956 from The Crown; 1941 Warden/Treasurer to James Austin. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Hindon (Image 29).
Dates of residency:
- 1879 Birth Hindon Hill
- 1905 Birth of Daughter Jane (Jennie) Elizabeth Austen (1905–1975) Lot 5, Conc. 5, Brady Lake, Hinden Twp
- 1908 birth registration of son Daniel.
- 1911 Census of Canada, Hindon: James & Eliza Austin
- 1918 Death of Wife Elizabeth at Lot 5, Conc. 4, Hindon
- 1918 Death of Son Daniel Albert at Lot 5, Conc. 5, Hindon
- 1928 Hindon Directory: E Austin, Petersons Cornerst at Lot 7, Conc. 5, Hindon
James Austin travelled on foot from London, Ontario, to make a home on the west shore of Brady's Lake. Austin was the fire ranger who supervised construction of the St. Nora rangers' cabin and a son, James Jr., who was also a fire ranger, held the local wolf-shooting record, he bagged eight in 1937 and the years when he did not collect on the bounties were rare.
The Austins raised cattle, made maple syrup, and had one of the small family-operated sawmills so prevalent after the larger companies lumbered - Hinden had one of the county's last blocks of virgin pine.
Source: Echoes of the Past, compiled and written by Ed H. Devitt & Nila Reynolds. p. 24-25
The James Austins, Sr. and Jr. both famous hunters, lived at Brady's Lake; an Echo of 1937 mentions that James Austin had shot eight wolves that season. Source: In Quest of Yesterday by Nila Reynolds. Published by The Provisional County of Haliburton, Minden, Ontario 1973 pg. 283
Son Daniel Albert died in 1918 at Hindon Hill of Spanish Influenza - an illness of pandemic proportions brought back from the trenches of WWI by returning soldiers. The official cause of death was pneumonia & bronchitis per Dr. Bowen. Age 10 years, 6 months. Source: Ancestry.ca
Preceding landowner: The Crown
- 1956 Harry Franklin Austin
Link to Settlers of Algonquin Highlands family tree
- James Edgar Austen, b. 3 Mar 1879, Hindon Hill d. 23 Nov 1966, Hindon Hill, Buried: Minden Village Cemetery
- Elizabeth Margaret Lunan, b. 2 Jul 1880, Ontario d. 15 Dec. 1918. Cause of Death: Spanish Influenza. Buried: Minden Cemetery
1. Jane (Jennie) Elizabeth Austen, b. 11 May 1905, Hindon Hill d. 16 Aug 1975, Temiskming
2. John (Jack) Taylor Austin, b. 1 Sep 1906, Hindon Hill d. 25 Jul 1969, Englehart
3. Daniel Albert Austin, b. 12 Apr 1908, Hindon Hill d, 11 Nov 1918, Hindon Hill. COD: Pneumonia & Bronchitis. Buried: Minden Cemetery
4. James Alexander Austin, b. 2 Feb 1910, Hindon Hill d. 21 Feb 2002, Haliburton. Buried: Minden Cemetery
5. Katherine Rosie Austin, b. 20 Apr 1911, Hindon Hill, d. 18 May 1991, Extendicare, Haliburton
6. Robert Edward Austen, b. Abt 1913, Hindon Hill d. 13 Dec 1991, Toronto
7. Ellen Louisa Austen, b. Abt 1915, Hindon Hill d. 21 Jun 2001, Extendicare, Haliburton
8. Hugh Edgar Austen, b. 1916, Hindon Hill d. 24 May 1982, Horseshoe Lake (Age 66 years)
9. Allen Milton (?) Austen, b. Abt 1918, Hindon Hill, d. 29 Apr 2002, Brady Lake
10. Harry Franklin Austen b. Abt 1920, Hindon Hill, d. 13 Aug 2001, Brady Lake. Buried: Minden Cemetery
11. Laura Margaret Austen, b. 1921, Hindon Hill, d. 23 Sep 1986, Toronto
12. Nelson Lee Austen b. 6 May 19223, Hindon Hill, d. 26 May 2005, Brady Lake
13. Walter George Austen b. 7 May 1925, Hindon Hill, d. 1996
Headstone Note: Headstone Austen-Lunnen James & Eliza. Minden Cemetery. This stone was erected by family and Eliza's maiden name seems to have been spelled incorrectly. With the family research I have done it is generally spelled Lunan. Source: Ancestry. ca
Photo 1: Eliza, James & baby - perhaps the oldest Jennie. Brady Lake Homestead. Source: Ancestry.ca Myrna246 originally shared this on 28 jul 2010
Photo 2 & 3: Left - Grandpa James [Austen]. Brady Lake Homestead. This is grandpa, James Austen, in his later years. Source: Ancestry.ca Myrna246 originally shared this on 28 jul 2010. Right: Grandma Eliza Brady Lake Homestead. Source: Ancestry.ca Myrna246 originally shared this on 27 Jun 2010