George Bailey Barry / Mary Jane Sawyer

Settler of township lots: Lot 1, Conc. 6, Guilford (Stanhope area)

Location: Map point is the approximate location within this 98 acre lot south of Barry Line east of Cameron Lake.

Land acquisition: 1917 from The C. L. & E. Co. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Guilford (Image 2).

Dates of residency:

  • 1881 Census of Canada, Stanhope: Geo. & Mary Jane Barry with Hiram J. b. 1880 Lot 32, Conc. 6, Stanhope which at that date was owned by Hiram D Sawyer, her father. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Image 191).
  • 1903 Business Directory, Guilford: George Barry, Maple Lake, Lot 1, Conc. 6
  • 1911 Census of Canada, Guilford: George & Mary Jane Barry.
  • 1911 and 1918 Stanhope Township Post Office Lists.
  • 1926 Death: Haliburton

Interesting facts:

The years before 1885 saw a steady influx of homesteaders to West Guilford, including George Barry. Source: In Quest of Yesterday by Nila Reynolds. Published by The Provisional County of Haliburton, Minden, Ontario 1973 pg. 155.

Guilford's first white child was a bonnie, talented lass, an excellent dancer and musician. On reaching womanhood, she became the bride of George Barry, who came from Dunnville in Haldimand, with his brothers James, Mathias, Frank, Christopher, and their 75 year old father, James Sr. Ibid. pg. 157.

George Barry was the proprietor of the Minden hotel in the 1890's. Ibid. pg 159.

A horse-racing track owned by George Barry drew visitors to Guilford Township. Barry's sporting events, which included foot races, thoroughbred and sulky racing, ended in the 1920's although local interest in the sport remained strong in the county. Source: Echoes of the Past, compiled and written by Ed H. Devitt & Nila Reynolds. pb 33.

George Barry held summertime sulky and saddle races on a half-mile track at his farm. Crowds and competitors came from as far away as Lindsay and Fenelon Falls. Barry kept several good mounts himself; the most famous was a trotter he named Guilford Boy. Source: Explore Haliburton by Susan Wilson (Stoddard Books, 1997. pg 80).

George Barry and his trainer, Jimmy Powell, travelled widely with the "Guilford Boy" (see photo below), whose speed and proud carriage made him a crowd pleaser at races and fall fairs all through Ontario. He collected a trunk full of ribbons as the best animal in his class. The trio even spent 3 months on the American racing circuit where the "Guilford Boy" established some new track records. After six or seven years, the 'Guilford Boy' was kicked on the stifle and died from infection. George Barry did not long survive him and with their passing the Guilford races were held no more. In Quest of Yesterday pg. 161.

Preceding landowner: 1865 The C. L. & E. Co from The Crown

Succeeding landowner: 

  • 1927 George Barry Estate to John Henry Bain
  • 1933 Executors of G. B. Barry
  • 1936 Mathias Barry to Clayton Stamp
  • 1947 William H. Bacon

Link to Settlers of Algonquin Highlands family tree

Photo 1: George Bailey Barry & his wife Mary Jane Sawyer. The three children in the photo are probably their first three children - Hiram, Rosey & Henry

Photo 2: George Barry and his horse "Guilford Boy". Source: Pic of the Past, Haliburton Echo, Apr 11, 1974