Settler of township lots: Lot 5, Conc. 12, McClintock Twp
Location: Map point is the approximate location within Lot 5, Conc. 12 on Oxtongue Lake Road south of Blue Spruce Road
Land Acquisition: No record of ownership. 1907 Patent from The Crown for 46 broken acres to son John Robertson. Ontario Land Parcel Register - McClintock (Image 72).
Dates of residency: 1879-1914
Interesting facts: Source: Brethour, Marnie and Fran Gower. Facts and Fables of Oxtongue Lake; 2000; pp. 127,151.
Peter and Margaret Robertson came to Canada from Scotland in 1860 with one son, Alexander, and became sharecroppers on a farm west of Greenbank. They had two more sons, John and James, and with the promise of a free land grant moved to Oxtongue Lake in 1879.
Peter received 96 acres of free grant land on the south side of Concession 12. Here they built a two story log home. In later years they bought 46 acres from the Crown for $36.00. In the summer, Peter returned to Greenbank to work on the farms, leaving his wife and sons to do the work at Oxtongue, clearing and planting. Peter died in 1895, leaving John and James to look after their mother, who died in 1901. James left shortly after, moving to South Porcupine where he lived until his death in 1955. Alex (?) and John stayed in the Oxtongue area for several years to come, Alex taking over much of the northern part of the Robertson property, and John taking over much of the southern lands.
Preceding landowner: The Crown
Succeeding landowners: sons John Robertson and Alexander Robertson
Link to Settlers of Algonquin Highlands family tree Peter Robinson 1893