Settler of township lots: Lots 5 & 6, Conc. 13, McClintock Twp
Location: Map point is the approximate location on Lot 6, Conc. 13, south of Alqonquin Outfitters on Hwy 60 west of the north arm of Oxtongue Lake
Dates of residency: 1879 -
Interesting facts: Source: Gower, Fran and Marnie Berthour, Facts and Fables of Oxtongue Lake. 2000; pp. 127, 151.
Peter and Margaret Robertson came to Canada from Scotland in 1860 with one son, Alexander, and became sharecroppers on a farm west of Greenbank. They had two more sons, John and James, and with the promise of a free land grant moved to Oxtongue Lake in 1879. By this time, Alexander was now married.
Alex and Jane homesteaded where the Blue Spruce Resort is now. He also acquired land to the north of present-day Highway 60, currently occupied by Algonquin Outfitters and several private residences. He farmed and lumbered approximately 160 acres north of Concession 12, registering a Crown Grant in 1913.
Read the whole story BLUE SPRUCE INN Submitted by Joan Hayden. Facts and Fables of Oxtongue Lake, 2000 pg. 151
Preceding landowner: The Crown
Link to Settlers of Algonquin Highlands family tree Peter Robertson 1893