Settler of township lots: Lot 3, Conc. A, Stanhope
Location: Map point is the approximate location with this 100 acre lot at Hwy 118 and Brady Lake Road, including the north-east part of Little Hindon Lake.
- This lot was patented in 1930 to John Taylor from The Crown
- Note: Son John Jarvis received the patent for Lot 2, Conc. A from The Crown in 1866
- Lot 2, Conc. A, Stanhope - 1876 from John Dawson (will); 1877 to Thomas L. Moore. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Minden (Image 407).
- Lot 32, Conc. A, Minden - 1871 from The Crown; to George Crandall, Robert A Morrow, Walter Ackterblade.
- Lot 1, Conc. 13, Minden - 1865 from The Crown; 1871 t James H Hewitt; 1874 to Wm Lundy; 1881 William John Walker; 1914 Thomas Walker; 1936 Archibald Walker. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Minden (Image 188).
Dates of residency:
- 1861 Census of Canada, Stanhope
- 1861 Agricultural Census Minden and Stanhope.
- 1871 Minden Directory: Wm Jarvis, jun., 13 half 1
- 1874 Birth of Daughter Mary Ann JARVIS (1874–) Minden
- By 1880, he and his family were living in Grand Forks, Dakota Territory, USA
Peterson Post Office - 1862 to 1876: The location of the Post Office moved about as it was housed in the home of the current Postmaster. All offices were within a 1/2 mile radius of the junction of the Bobcaygeon and Peterson Roads. William Jarvis was the postmaster from Oct 1, 1868 to Nov 1, 1876. Mr. Jarvis's home was destroyed by fire, and no other person in the vicinity was willing to take on the job, so the office was closed. Shortly thereafter, William Jarvis and his family emigrated to the United States.
In 1867 Jarvis (aka Gervais) received received a licence to sell spirits. †he fee for the tavern licence in 1869 was $30.00 and the for a shop keeper was $50.00. The cost for whiskey was $10.00 a gallon, $2.00 a bottle and $1.25 for 186 g.
Preceding landowner: The Crown
- 1930 John Taylor
- 1934 Howard Ashton Nesbitt
Link to Settlers of Algonquin Highlands family tree
- William Jarvis, b. Abt 1833, Ireland d. 1923 North Dakota
- Eliza Coulter, b. Abt 1836, Ireland d. 1893 North Dakota
1. John Jarvis, b. Mar 1855, Ontario, d. 1918, Minnesota, (Age ~ 62 years)
2. William Jarvis, b. Abt 1857, Ontario
3. Eliza Jarvis, b. Abt 1859, Ontario
4. Robert Jarvis, b. Abt 1862, Ontario
5. James Jarvis, b. Abt 1864, Ontario
6. Sarah J Jarvis b. Abt 1864, Ontario
7. Margaret Jarvis b. Abt 1865, Ontario
8. Joseph Jarvis, b. Abt 1868, Ontario
9. Thomas Jarvis, b. 13 Mar 1871, Ontario, d. 19 Jun 1945, Illinois, (Age 74 years)