Settler of township lots: Lot 8, Conc. 10, Stanhope
Location: Map point is the approximate location within this 100 acre lot on Shangri La Road west of Hwy 35 north of Halls Lake
Dates of residency:
James Cooper secured the west shore of Halls Lake and built a magnificent stone home overlooking the entire lake. The store home still stands, occupied, over 100 years later. Source: Halls Lake, It’s History, Geography, Mythology and Genealogy by Dave Bulford, 2001 pg 9
In his 1966 Collection of Sketches, "The Tourist Industry", Clayton Rogers tells the story of the start of the tourist industry in Stanhope Township: "A great many folk summered at Hillcrest Lodge situated in a lovely setting on a hill overlooking Halls Lake and operated successfully for a good many years by Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Cooper."
"Most of the cottagers were once tourists”… except for Garth Mole’s family. Source: Halls & Hawk Lake POA website - https://www.hallshawklakes.ca/2016/12/3072/
Garth Mole is so much a “local” of the Hawk and Hall’s Lake area that he goes back three generations. The family were some of the first property owners in the area. His great grandfather purchased, sight-unseen, 1500 acres of land for $1500.00. This property included a mile of shoreline on Hall’s Lake. His great-grandmother Sarah Welch was born in the area in 1870. This is where she raised her five children; Fred, Art, Amy, Ethel and Minnie in the late 1800’s. Times were certainly much tougher then. Sarah died in the area in 1947.
Garth’s family recognizes that his great grandmother was full of vim and vigour, just like his grandmother Amy (1889-1965) who followed. It’s clear one needed to be strong and tenacious to help the family survive in order to stay in the area. In fact Garth’s Uncle Art ran the Esso station in Hall’s Lake until about 1958. Some of you may remember it was located next to Club 35 on Highway 35.
Garth’s grandmother Amy Welch Gartshore Cooper and her husband were the original owners of Hillcrest Resort in Hall’s Lake, which included the stone lodge on the east side of Highway 35 as well as the building across the road that is now “Sage”. Hillcrest Resort was built in the early 1930’s at the time when Highway 35 was being constructed. All the highway workers stayed at Hillcrest while they worked on the new Highway 35.
Preceding landowner: The Crown
Succeeding landowner: 1967 William Gartshore, her son