Settler of township lots: Lot 11, Conc. 10, Stanhope
Location: Map point is the approximate location within this 100 acre lot west of Hwy 35, just south of Shangri La Road north of Little Hawk Lake Road
Land acquisition: 1930 from Susan Amelia Scott (Manson Richard Scott's wife). Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Image 87)
Other land: Lot 12, Conc. 10, Stanhope - 1934 from James Scott. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Image 90)
Dates of residency:
John Hewitt recounts: "With so much work being carried on annually with so many men it became necessary [around 1906] to have someone in charge of the dam and control the flow of the water, so Pete Grozelle was the first dam keeper and the big white house was built at Hawk Lake. Later on it was James Welch, and by 1912 William H. Hewitt, with his bride Alice, moved into the "white house." They were two miles from the nearest neighbour, they had no modern facilities, and only by wagon trail could they get out. They had a horse, cow, dog and cat, and plenty of wild life. They lived there until the early twenties when they bought a home on Hall's Lake and moved out of the wilderness. He continued to look after the dams and water levels until 1951. A property owner said that Billy Hewitt could look after the controls better when he was drunk, as water was never known to run over the dam when he was in charge." Source: Lakes of Haliburton Which Form "The Island", Haliburton County Echo, 1971
Succeeding landowner: 1954 to Walter D Butts, part.
Photo: Alice Cooper. Source: Ancestry.ca PeggySawyerPouw originally shared this on 28 Jun 2011