Settler of township lots: Lot 18, Conc. 11, Minden (Stanhope area)
Location: Map point is the approximate location of this 100 acre lot which runs north from Blairhampton Road, one lot west of Duck Lake Road.
Land acquisition: 1896 Samuel Lewis Jr from Henry Howell. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Minden (Image 324).
Dates of residency:
- 1878 Minden township voters' list shows settlers in the vicinity of Blairhampton including Samuel Lewis.
- 1900 Married in Haliburton
- 1901 Census of Canada, Stanhope:
-This settler was enumerated at Lot 9 & 10, Conc. 1, Stanhope (two irregular, waterfront lots on Boshkung Lake) as Samuil Sanis with wife Suzy Sanis and daughter Hazel G.
- Alfred Walter Moore (1871) was also enumerated at these lots and was the owner, having acquired them from Alfred Moore in 1897.
- 1911 Census of Canada, Mariposa: Samual & Susana Lewis with 3 children
A quick rundown of an 1878 Minden township voters' list shows settlers in the vicinity of Blairhampton including Samuel Lewis. Source: In Quest of Yesterday by Nila Reynolds. Published by The Provisional County of Haliburton, Minden, Ontario 1973 pg. 282
It is probable that the Blairhampton church dated from 1893 when its 20 members were led by Samuel Lewis, Sr. Ibid. pg 326
Preceding landowner: 1880 Henry Howell
- 1899 Henry Howell by tax deed
- 1909 Charles Bott
- 1923 J A Hawtin
- 1927 Mike Miscio
- 1930 Mattis Tamburrano
Link to Settlers of Algonquin Highlands family tree
- Samuel Lewis, b. 9 Jun 1869, England d. 2 Oct 1941, Mariposa, Ontario. COD: Myocardial failure. Buried: East Oakwood Cemetery
Parents: Samuel Lewis & Elizabeth Munroe
- Susanna 'Susy' Hawkins, b. 14 Oct 1868, Ontario
1. Hazel Louisa May Lewis (Dillman), b. 26 Jan 1901, Minden d. 1965
2. Viola M
3. Mary Lillian (Nokes) 1904-1998
4. Elmer E Lewis b. 13 Dec 1918 d. 31 Mar 1998 (age 79). Buried: Little Britain Cemetery