Settler of township lots: Lot 15, Conc. 3, Lots 15 & 16, Conc. 4, Stanhope
Location: Map point is the approximate location within this 101 acre Lot 16, Conc. 4 - 1167 North Shore Rd. "Mountainside Farm"
Land acquisition: 1917 from James Henry Sisson. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Images 221, 185 & 191)
Dates of residency:
Go to An Interview with Mr. Oscar Sisson July 25, 1978 to read his life story, excerpted from “A Compiled History of Stanhope Township” a 1978 student project by Karen Wedmann, Kim Gorveatt and Godfrey Tyler.
The story begins: Mr. Sisson was born in 1886 on the farm where the printing shop for the Highlands Express is now located. His mother was English and his father was Scottish. They moved to Stanhope from Cavan (in the county of Durham) during the 1870's. At that time, all property was free grant land.
Oscar Sisson House: The former Oscar Sisson house at 1167 North Shore Rd. was built in 1913 and originally called "Mountainside Farm". It was home to Brigadoon Riding Stables in the early 1970s before being purchased by Bob and Joan Mann of Highlands Printing in 1976. Oscar Sisson was a son of James Henry Sisson, the first owner of this property.
Veteran: Oscar Benson Sisson, Pte.
Succeeding landowner: 1969 John N Kinsman for $2
Photo description & source: Stanhope Heritage Driving Tour brochure / Stanhope Museum collection