Settler of township lots: Lot 11, Conc. 6, Stanhope
Location: The map point is the approximate location within this 100 acre Lot 11, Conc. 6 on the west side of Buckslide Road, 1 lot south of Hwy 118.
- Lot 11, Conc. 6, Stanhope:
- 1861 Lands Liable to Taxation: Township of Stanhope Patent Register - 61 acres to Joseph Fee with Lot 11, Conc. 7. 19 acres for a total of 80 acres.
- 1876 Patent from The Crown. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Image 41).
- Lot 8, Conc. 6, Stanhope:
- 1861 Lands Liable to Taxation: Township of Stanhope Patent Register - 100 acres to Joshua Davis.
- 1861 Patent from The Crown. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Image 22).
- Lots 10, 11, & 12, Conc. 7, Stanhope:
- 1874 patent from The Crown. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Images 45, 71 & 90).
- Lot 10: Lands Liable to Taxation: Township of Stanhope Patent Register - 48 acres to William J Cameron
- Lot 11: Lands Liable to Taxation: Township of Stanhope Patent Register - 19 acres to Joseph Fee
- Lot 12: Lands Liable to Taxation: Township of Stanhope Patent Register - 12 acres to William J Cameron
Dates of residency:
- 1870 Peterborough County Directory, Stanhope: Joshua Davis Lot 11, Conc. 6
- 1878 birth of son William Ernest Davis
- 1883 Stanhope Voters List, Legislative Assembly only: Joshua Davis, Grand Forks, Lots 11, 10, 11, Conc. 6, 7, 7
- 1883 Death: Grand Forks, North Dakota
The first Crown Patents for lands near Halls Lake were issued to Caleb and Joshua Davis. Together they were given approximately 500 acres bordering the outflow from Halls to Bushkung Lake, now known as Buttermilk Falls. These lands may have been significant to the logging agents using the waterways. Source: Echoes of the Past, compiled and written by Ed H. Devitt & Nila Reynolds.
From William McLaughlin's History:
One Joshua Davis received a patent from the Crown on February 13th, 1874 for the above-mentioned parcel. He subsequently left the district forty to fifty years prior to 1931. Allen Hewett of Minden, a relative, paid the taxes for a number of years and granted a deed to W. C. McLaughlin on November 24th, 1931, by reason of possession. The consideration was $400.00 or $8.51 per acre.
Preceding landowner: The Crown
- Lot 8, Conc. 6: 1877 Thomas Godwin for $400; 1900 Arthur Hewitt; 1921 Allan Hewitt; 1926 Alexander Hewitt
- Lot 10, Conc. 7: 1870 William Welch for $300.
- Lot 11, Conc. 7: 1921 Arthur Oliver B&S for $200
- Lot 12, Conc. 7: 1931 Allan Carter Hewitt to William McLaughlin
Link to Settlers of Algonquin Highlands family tree
- Joshua Davis, b. Abt 1843, England d. 25 Nov 1883 (aged 29–30)
Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA. Buried: Memorial Park Cemetery, Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA
• Philip Davis, b. Abt 1803, England d. 23 Jan 1887, Stanhope, Age ~ 84 years)
• Mary Foot, b. Abt 1808, England d. 10 Jun 1873, Stanhope, (Age ~ 65 years)
- Eliza Jarvis, b. Abt 1859, Ontario
• William Jarvis, b. Abt 1833, Ireland
• Eliza Coulter, b. Abt 1836, Ireland
- Son: William Ernest Davis, b. 01 Jul 1878, Stanhope
Photo description and source: Alexander Niven's Insurance Survey Notebook, Haliburton Highlands Museum