Settler of township lots: Lot 24, Conc. 2, Stanhope
Location: The map point is the approximate location within Lot 24, Conc. 2 south of Maple Lake.
- 1872 This lot was registered as a Free Grant through the Free Grant and Homestead Act of 1868 under the locatee name James Johnson,
- 1876 Patent from The Crown; Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Image 161).
Family locations: Conc. 2 - all one lot south of Hwy 118 on both sides of 25th Line Road
- Lot 24: James Johnstone - father
- Lot 25: Mathew Johnston - son
- Lot 26: John Johnston - son
- Lot 27: William James Johnston - son
- Lot 26, Conc. 1, Stanhope:
- 1872 This lot was registered as a Free Grant through the Free Grant and Homestead Act of 1868 under the locatee name James Johnson.
- 1877 Patent from The Crwon. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Image 255).
Dates of residency:
- 1881 Census of Canada, Stanhope: James & Hannah Johnston 6 children including sons Robert and William James.
- Wife Hannah was enumerated at Lot 26. Conc. 1.
- Son John Johnson and his family were enumerated at Lot 26, Conc. 2
- Son Matthew Johnston and family were enumerated at Lot 25, Conc. 2
- no enumeration at Lot 27, Conc. 2
Interesting facts: qa
Preceding landowner: The Crown
- Lot 26, Conc. 1:
- 1884 to son John Johnston for $500
- 1890 Thomas Dunn Gibbs
- 1948 Thomas Dunn Gibb to 2 others
- Lot 24, Conc. 2:
- 1881 to son Mathew Johnston for $150
Link to Settlers of Algonquin Highlands family tree
- James Johnston, b. Abt 1823, Ireland
- Hannah Sidey, b. Jun 1829, Scotland
1. John Johnston, b. Abt 1848, Ontario
3. Matthew Johnston, b. 1850, Hamilton
7. William J Johnston, b. 1858, Ontario
10. Robert H Johnston, b. Oct 1864, Ontario