Settler of township lots: Lot 1, Conc. 5, Guilford (Stanhope area)
Location: Map point is the approximate location within this irregular, waterfront lot on the west shore of Green Lake east of the Stanhope Airport.
Land acquisition: 1907 from Isaac Bice (Boice) for $400. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Guilford (Image 2).
- Lots 12 & 13, Conc. 5, Stanhope: 1881 from Henry Fitzsimmonds to Henry Sisson (father or son?). Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Images 96 & 116). Son Henry Clare Sisson is listed on the 1883 Stanhope Voters List as owning this property.
- Lot 32, Conc. 5, Stanhope: see Simon Bice. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Image 405).
- Lot 32, Conc. 6, Stanhope: 1916 from Thomas Archer; 1943 to Oren Fader. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Image 191)
- Lot 16, Conc. 12, Minden: 1907 from Henry Sisson. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Minden (Image 112)
- Lot 17. Conc. 12, Minden: 1888 Patent from The Crown. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Minden (Image 117).
- Lot 24, Conc. 12, Minden : 1910 from James Edward Chambers. 1919 to Thomas H & Clayton Rogers. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Minden (Image 139)
Dates of residency:
- 1883 called for mail at Carnarvon. Source: In Quest of Yesterday by Nila Reynolds. Published by The Provisional County of Haliburton, Minden, Ontario 1973 pg. 317
- 1883 Stanhope Voters List: Clare Sisson, owner, Lots 12, 12, 13, Conc. 4, 5, 5
- 1885 Marriage: Louise Rachel Bice Boice (1866–1936) Stanhope
- 1893 Minden Township Directory: C H Sisson, Carnarvon, Lot 16, Conc. 12, Minden
- 1896 Birth of Son Reginald C Sisson( 1896–1971) Lot 15, Con 12, Minden
- 1903 Business Directory, Minden: C H Sisson, Carnarvon, Lot 16, Conc. 12, Minden
- also W A Sisson, Carnarvon at Lot 17, Conc. 12, Minden
- 1911 Census of Canada, Guilford - Clare & Rachel L. Sisson Lot 1, Conc.5
- 1911 Stanhope Post Office List: Clair Sisson, Maple Lake
- 1911 Stanhope Voters List: Clair Sisson
- 1918 Stanhope Voters List: Clare Sisson, Maple Lake
- 1928 Stanhope Voters List: Clare H. Sisson, farmer, Lot 32, Conc. 6
- 1936 Death of wife Rachel Louise at Lot 1, Conc. 5, Guilford
- 1936 Henry Clair Sisson (widow of Rachel Bice) to Reginald Christisson(?)
In his 1966 Collection of Sketches, "Agriculture", Clayton Rogers writes about the importance of surplus agriculture in bringing in much needed dollars. "As many of the settlers were from the old land, and cheese a staple food, their interest turned to the manufacture of cheese. At some time about 1885-1888, a factory was erected on Lot 9, Conc. 1, Stanhope near Moorefield Acres. Machinery was installed and a good quality cheese was made for quite a few years. The project was managed on a co-operative basis all patrons being share-holders. The cheese was sold in Lindsay at the board sales and distribution made to several patrons. Among the records of payments for the year 1890 I find the following: Jno. Crawford (Bobcaygeon Road) $12; Hugh Coulter (Bobcaygeon Road) $10; Geo. Hewitt, Boshkung, $9.13; Thos. Godeson $31.31; Thos. Wells - Peterson $20.88; Noah Baily - Birch Lake $21.95; Clare Sisson, Carnarvon $11.44.
- William Clair Sisson was married to Louisa Rachel Clara Bice (Rachel Bice)
- Rachel Bice's brother was Samuel Boice, mother was Mary Elizabeth Demill Redner
- Rachel Bice's father was Mary Elizabeth's first husband, Simon Bice and whose second husband was James Napoleon Sawyer
- >1883 William Clarke Melville
- 1883 James Napolean Sawyer
- 1886 Isaac Bice (Boice)
- 1936 Sephroma Sisson (daughter)
- 1970 L E Fry & F W Chambers
- 1974 Brown Camping Supplies Limited
Link to Settlers of Algonquin Highlands family tree
- Henry Clair Sisson, b. 27 Oct 1862, Durham, Ontario, d. 01 Jun 1950, Stanhope, (Age 87 years)
• Henry Sisson, b. 27 May 1823, England d. 23 May 1900, Stanhope, (Age 76 years)
• Jenny Ellen Gray, b. 04 Aug 1828, Glengarry, Ontario, d. 13 Jul 1868, Durham, Ontario, (Age 39 years)
- Louisa Rachel Clara Bice b. 26 Jul 1866, Stanhope, d. 11 Jan 1936, Guilford, (Age 69 years). COD: Cerebral haeorrhage. Buried: Maple Lake Cemetery
• Simon Bice, b. Abt 1837, Ontario, d. 11 Feb 1870, Ontario, (Age ~ 33 years)
• Mary Elizabeth Demill Redner, b. 24 Sep 1843, Canada - First husband: Simon Bice, b. Abt 1837, Ontario, d. 11 Feb 1870, Ontario, Age ~ 33 years) First children: 1. William Boice, b.1858, Samuel Boice, b. Abt 1862, 3. Louisa Rachel Clara Bice, b. 1866, Stanhope
1. Edith Violet Sisson, b. 21 Dec 1885, Carnarvon,d. 04 Dec 1956 (Age 70 years)
2. Sylvia Aleen Sisson, b. 25 Jun 1888, Stanhope, d. 25 Sep 1963 (Age 75 years)
3. Ivan Ellsworth Sisson, b. 02 Apr 1891, Stanhope, d. 25 Jul 1929, Dysart, (Age 38 years)
4. Reginald Clair Sisson, b. 11 Mar 1896, Stanhope, d. 17 Apr 1972, Florida, (Age 76 years)
5. Sephrona Louise Sisson, b. 05 Sep 1898, Minden, d. 11 Apr 2004, Dysart, (Age 105 years)
Photo 1: Clair Sisson, his wife Louisa Boice, and their daughter Phrona Sisson from Mabel BranniganPhoto 2: Henry Sisson Family, 1879, Stanhope Township. Back row: Jane Gray Sisson, Clair Sisson, Emma Sisson, Emma Dawson Middle row: Thomas "Mack" Sisson, Henry Sisson, Jim Sisson Front row: Elizabeth "Lizzie" Stevens, Ellen "Ellie" Sisson.
Photo 3: The Sissons at church. At the bridge at St Peter's Anglican Church. L. to R. Violet, Clair, Sylvia, Phrona. Source: Ancestry.ca johnmar131 originally shared this on 23 Apr 2012
Photo 4: Lake View Farm, Maple Lake. Clair and Louise Sisson. Source: Ancestry.ca johnmar131 originally shared this on 23 Apr 2012
Photo 5: Invitation for 50 years. Source: Ancestry.ca johnmar131 originally shared this on 23 Apr 2012
Photo 6: Clair and Louise Sisson family. L. to R. back: Gladys Cook, Ivan Sisson, Sephrona Sisson, Reg Sisson, Jim Cowan; front: Claire Sisson, Louise (Bice) Sisson. Source: Ancestry.ca johnmar131 originally shared this to Mueller_Fry and twigs
Photo 7: Clair Sisson family in 1906: Reg,Violet, Ivan, Sylvia, Clair, Sephrona, Louise (Bice) photo---courtesy of Bob Chambers. Source: Ancestry.ca. johnmar131 originally shared this on 22 Jan 2014
Photo 8: Claire Sisson (L) and Howard Thompson (R), both from Maple Lake. Photo from and credit to the Stanhope Museum. Photo is from a Lodge meeting of the Grand Black Chapter.