Settler of township lots: Lot 4, Conc. 6, Guilford (Stanhope Area)
Location: Map point is the approximate location within this 100 acre lot running south from the intersection of Binscarth Trail and Barry Line.
Land acquisition: 1934 from The C .L. & C. Co. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Guilford (Image 22).
Other land: Lot 3, Conc. 4 Guilford - 1964 from The C .L. & C. Co. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Guilford (Image 12).
Dates of residency:
Brothers George, James, Mathias, Frank and Christopher Barry came from Dunnville in Haldimand with the their 75 year old father, James Sr. Source: In Quest of Yesterday by Nila Reynolds. Published by The Provisional County of Haliburton, Minden, Ontario 1973 pg. 157
A depot camp to supply the Redstone and Kennisis [lumber] camps was located on lot 3, concession 7, Guilford township, beside a creek flowing from Mud Lake. The late Frank Barry who in 1960 owned this property told how it was serviced from Bobcaygeon by cadge teams which took a day to get as far as Minden from Bobcaygeon. After spending a night at the Minden hotel, a second day's journey brought them to Gwinn's Corners where team and driver enjoyed the hospitality of the Half Way house. The third day saw the load delivered to the Mud Lake depot and the team returning to Bobcaygeon for another consignment. Ibid. pg 47
First wife Gertrude (or Maggie) Barnum was the 3rd child of William Barnum and Catherine Dauncey. She was born in Guilford Township and married Frank Barry on May 24, 1899. Sadly, she passed from puerperal convulsions (a complication of childbirth.) after delivering twin boys, who also passed and are buried with her. Also buried with her is her sister, Edith, who married Frank in 1903 and Frank himself. Source: FindAGrave.com
Preceding landowner: 9 May 1865 The C .L. & C. Co from The Crown