Settler of township lots: Lot 16, Conc. 8, Stanhope
Location: Map point is the approximate location within this 80 acre part of this irregular, waterfront Lot 16, Conc. 8 on the east shore of Halls Lake at the Kennisis River & Old Mill Road. Property known as 'Deacon's Hill'.
Land acquisition: 1924 from George Deacon. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Image 113)
Dates of residency:
Property known as 'Deacon's Hill' (second wife was a daughter of Robert Deacon).
Eugene Ackerman married in Buffalo and had one son, Norman E. Ackerman, in 1910. Eugene's first marriage ended in divorce. Emma Letitia Deacon was his second wife. Emma, Eugene and Norman Ackerman lived in Buffalo in the latter 1920s. Source: Halls Lake, It’s History, Geography, Geology, Mythology and Genealogy by Dave Bulford, 2001. Pg 18
After six years in his ownership, in 1927, George Deacon transferred all of his properties to his sister, Emma Letitia and her husband Eugene G Ackerman, 'salesman'; both residents of Buffalo. George continued to work for his brother-in-law over the next 27 years. The Ackerman's and George Deacon developed a 'Holiday Resort' atmosphere on what became known as the 'Ackerman Homestead'. They housed guests at the main stone lodge and in several small cabins built by George for the purpose. Sumptuous home cooked meals were served in the main dining room of the stone farmhouse. Source: Halls Lake, It’s History, Geography, Geology, Mythology and Genealogy by Dave Bulford, 2001. Pgs 18-19
In his 1966 Collection of Sketches, "The Tourist Industry", Clayton Rogers tells the story of the start of the tourist industry in Stanhope Township: "At Halls lake mention has been made of the Homestead, operated by E. Ackerman."
First landowner: 1891 Edwin Johnson from The Crown