Settler of township lots: Lots 9 & 11, Conc. A, Hindon (Stanhope area)
Location: Map point is the approximate location within 100 acre lLot 9, Conc. A west of Brady Lake Road south of Boyd Road.
Land acquisition: 1871 two 100 acre lots by Patent from The Crown. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Hindon (Images 23 & 30).
- Lot 11, Conc. A, Stanhope: 1919 from Archibald Taylor (his brother)
- Lot 12, Conc. A, Stanhope - east side of Bobcaygeon Road:
- 1905 Patented this 100 acre lot in 1905
- 1901 and 1911 (also Lot 11, Conc. A) Stanhope Voters Lists. Succeeding landowner: 1928 John Toye B&S. Brother Archibald Taylor owned the adjacent Lot 11, Conc. A in Stanhope.
- Lots 1 & 2, Conc. 5, Stanhope
- 1919 purchased from John Gammon for $30 each in 1919 and sold to David Lawson the same year for $1,000 each. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Images 2 & 24).
Dates of residency:
- 1871 Census of Canada, L, A & Hindon: Alexander Taylor 39, Liza Margret Taylor 39, Daniel Taylor 14, Rosy Taylor 12, Thomas Taylor,11, Robert Taylor 8, Jennet Tylor 6, Alexander Tylor 4, Hugh Tylor,2, James Tylor 12
- 1874 Married Elizabeth 'Sopia; Hamilton in Minden
- 1881 Census of Canada, HIndon: Alexander Taylor 48, Eliza Margaret Taylor 48, Daniel Taylor 24, Thomas Taylor 21, Johnie Taylor 16, Hugh Taylor 12, John Taylor 6
- ~ 1881- Living with Daniel and Catherine (Kate) are his widowed mother, Jenet Hill, his single step-brothers, James and Archibald and his two year old daughter by his first marriage, Amy Sophia.
- 1891 & 1901 Stanhope Voters List: Daniel Taylor Sr. Lot 12, Conc. A
- 1893 Anson & Hindon Townships Directory: Daniel Taylor Sr, Petersons' Cors
- 1899 Stanhope Directory. Daniel Taylor, Peterson's Corners. Lot 5, Conc. A, Stanhope. No record of ownership.
- 1901 Census of Canada, Hindon: Dannel Taylor 48, Catherine Taylor 37, Jenie Taylor 18, Jessie Taylor 17, Archie Taylor 16, Maggie Taylor 14, Louisa Taylor 12, Dannel Taylor 10, Rachel Taylor 9, James Taylor 7, Corah Taylor 5, Ammie Taylor 3, William Taylor 1, Uncles: James Taylor 86, Archie Taylor 85
- 1903 Business Directory, Anson & Hindon: Daniel Taylor, Sr, Petersons Cors, Lot 11, Conc. A.
- 1903 Death of stillborn child at Lot 9, Conc. A, Hindon
- 1911 Census of Canada, Hindon - Lot 11, Conc. A, Hindon: Daniel Taylor, Katharine Taylor, Daniel Taylor Jr., Louisa Taylor, James Taylor, Cora Taylor, Amy Taylor, Willie Taylor, Robbie Taylor
- 1911 Stanhope Voters List: Lots 11 & 12, Conc. A, Stanhope and Lots 1 & 2, Conc. 5, Stanhope.
- 1918 Stanhope Post Office List: Daniel Sr., Lindsay but listed at Lot 11, Conc. A
- 1938 Died in Little Britain. Buried in Minden Cemetery
Interesting facts: q
An Irishman, Daniel Taylor, who came to Canada at the age of 17 and in 1862 married Sophia Hamilton. After moving to Hindon Hill two children were born to this marriage, a dauther, Mrs. Archie Coulter and a second child who died in infancey. Following the untimely death of his first wife, Mr. Taylor married Miss Catharine Lindsay and raised a family of twelve children.
Talyor was the first postmaster at Hindon Hill on the old Bobcaygeon Road. At first Mr. Taylor picked up the mail for Hindon Hill at Peterson's Corners, but some trouble arose from this arrangement so the mail was picked up at Minden and delivered at Hindon Hill the same day.
When Dan Taylor was appointed postmaster, there was a temporary feud between his family and that of Johnny Boyd. The indomitable Johnny Boyd expressed is displeasure in this jingle:
"Dan Taylor's is the blood we'll spill, When we post our letters at Hindon Hill"
Either his bark was worse than his bite, or Johnny Boyd repented of his boast, for Dan Taylor lived well beyond his three score years and ten to die in his 93rd year.
In addition to the regular mail, Taylor provided transportation for a wide assortment of passengers. His trusted companion on those long drives was a fine little mare called "Gyp" (short for Gypsy).
Source: In Quest of Yesterday by Nila Reynolds. Published by The Provisional County of Haliburton, Minden, Ontario 1973 pg 282
It was Daniel's team of oxen that skidded the timbers to build the first bridge across the Gull River. He also was the First Post-Master of Hindon Hill. His log house has since been moved into the village and is still being used today across the road from the Minden Fair Grounds and still on the once, so very busy Bobcaygeon Road. Daniel died in 1938, in his 93rd year and is buried in the Minden Cemetery. Source: "Looking Back and Remembering" by Ruth Taylor.
Hindon Hill Post Office - 1906 to 1950: The Hindon Hill Post Office was located in the home of the current Postmaster. Mrs. Catherine Taylor was the postmistress from Jan 27, 1906 until her death on Jan 18, 1919.
The Haliburton Business Directory for 1918:
Hindon Hill, Hindon Tp - Taylor, Mrs. C. postmistress
Preceding landowner: The Crown
Succeeding landowner: 1921 & 1915 David Lawson
Link to Settlers of Algonquin Highlands family tree
- Daniel Taylor, b. 1 Nov 1847, Ireland d. 27 Jan 1938, Minden (Age 90 years). Buried: Minden Village Cemetery
• Daniel Taylor, b. 1775 Ireland
• Eliza Jenet 'Jenny' Hill, b. 1795, Ireland d. 1889
- Wife 1. Elizabeth Sophia Hamilton, b. 30 Jan 1849, Cornwall, d. 23 Mar 1879, Minden, (Age 30 years) Cause of death: consumption (tuberculosis)
- Family 2. Catherine 'Kate' Lindsay, b. 28 May 1863, Scotland d. 18 Jan 1919, Ontario, (Age 55 years)
1. Janet Taylor, b. 21 Nov 1881, Peterson's Corners, Anson
2. Elizabeth Jessie Lindsay Taylor, b. 22 Aug 1883, Peterson's Corners, Ansond. 1947 Age 63 years)
3. Archibald Taylor, b. 17 Feb 1885, Hindon. Lived in Minden. No map point.
4. Margaret Taylor, b. 27 Oct 1886, Peterson's Corners, Anson, d. 25 Jun 1906, Hindon, (Age 19 years) COD: Tuberculosis
5. Louisa Cameron Taylor, b. 25 Aug 1888, Peterson's Corners, Anson, d. 1972 (Age 83 years)
6. Daniel Taylor, b. 26 May 1890, Hindon. Map point
7. Rachel Taylor, b. 22 Feb 1892, Peterson's Corners, Anson, d. 29 Jul 1984 (Age 92 years)
8. James Taylor, b. 22 Feb 1894, Ontario. Map point
9. Cora Catherine Taylor, b. 5 Oct 1895, Hindon
10. Amy Sophia Taylor, b. 16 Sep 1897, Hindon, d. 11 Sep 1995, Bowmanville, (Age 97 years)
11. William Cameron Taylor, b. 21 Jan 1900, Hindon
12. Robert John Taylor, b. 10 Mar 1902, Haliburton
13. Unnamed Taylor, b. 17 Oct 1903, Hindon, d. 17 Oct 1903, Hindon, (Age 0 years)
Photo 2: Daniel Taylor (1844 – 1938) married Eliz. Sophia Hamilton (1849 -1879), on March 24, 1874, after Elizabeth’s death he married Catherine Lindsay (1862 -1919) on Jan. 01, 1880. Died aged 93 years and 3 months. Daniel was a farmer. Source: FinaAGrave.com. Added by Luella Hinrichsen
Photo 3: Daniel Taylor and sons. Source: FinaAGrave.com. Added by Luella Hinrichsen
Daniel Taylor (1844 – 1938) married Eliz. Sophia Hamilton (1849 -1879), on March 24, 1874, after Elizabeth’s death he married Catherine Lindsay (1862 -1919) on Jan. 01, 1880.
Died aged 93 years and 3 months.
Daniel was a farmer.