Settler of township lots: Lot 5, Conc. 1, Stanhope
Location: Map point is the approximate location within this 86 acre irregular waterfront lot (Preston Lane) at the south end of Kushog Lake running west and north from Kushog Lake Road, west of Buckslide Road. This lot is at the intersection of Kushog Lake Road and Hwy 118 (then Peterson Road) then known as Guin's Corners.
Land acquisition: 1940 from Warden & Treasurer. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Image 54).
Dates of residency:
Frank Gartshore became a famous logging foreman. Source: In Quest of Yesterday by Nila Reynolds. Published by The Provisional County of Haliburton, Minden, Ontario 1973 pg. 287
During the early 1920's the Gull River Company purchased the cutting rights on the Mickle and Dyment limits in Eyre township. Supplies for their new camps northeast of Haliburton Lake were cadged to the old Boyd depot at Fort Irwin and carried up the lake in the company's big gasoline boat. Although a storm was blowing when the bush superintendent, Frank Gartshore, watched the loading of the last supplies, neither he nor his foreman, Earl McKay, thought it great enough to interfere with the progress of their sturdily built craft which carried 15 men and towed a sixteenth in a boat loaded with baled hay. By the time they left the narrows, however, the rising gale offered real menace and black clouds, like veils of mourning crepe, hastened the autumn darkness; it was too late to return. In danger of swamping and with no more control of its fate than a piece of driftwood, the craft was soon lost on the broad expanse of Haliburton Lake. When bailing could no longer control the intake of water, Earl McKay, making a speaking trumpet of his hands, called to the man in the the towed skiff, "We're both sinking so you might as well come up here and go down with the rest of us." He obeyed. Imagine their relief when the boat suddenly ran itself high and dry upon the beach. Shortly after the storm subsided, the remainder of the party, camped at the head of the lake, saw their fire and guided them to shelter. Source: Ibid. pg. 65
Every great era must end. The wordlwide depression of 1929 put the writing on the wall for the Gull River Company and moving logs by water. The last drive from Gull River waters was jobbed by Frank Gartshore who employed a skeleton crew of 8 picked men. It was this seasoned driver's duty to harvest the switch booms from the entire system. Source: Ibid. pg.66
Preceding landowner: 1875 James Guinn from The Crown