Settler of township lot: Lot 3, Conc. 8, McClintock Twp
Location: Map point is the approximate location on Lot 3, Conc. 8
Land Acquisition: No record of ownership. There is no image in the Ontario Land Parcel Register - McClintock for this lot.
Dates of residency: The Flaherty family was enumerated at this location at the time of the Census of Canada, 1911. Source: Information source: Census of Canada, 1911
Interesting facts: Source: The Chapin Archives
John worked at a lumber camp at the southernmost tip of Oxtongue Lake. He was a bush ranger. A niece, Jennie O'Hara, also lived with the Flahertys at the time of the 1911 census. While little information about this family remains, the Flahertys are nonetheless remembered locally through "Flaherty's Meadow" at the southern tip of the lake, where their buildings used to stand. "Flaherty's Lake" is behind a hunt camp, also at the southern end of the lake.
It is not currently known whether Flahertys of Oxtongue Lake were related to the family which Flaherty House, in Dorset, was eventually named after. The Flahertys of Oxtongue Lake were Roman Catholic, while the Flahertys of Dorset attended Knox United.
Link to Settlers of Algonquin Highlands family tree John Flaherty 1860 -