Archie & Annie (Bradley) Gouldie

Settler of township lots: Dwight Beach, village of Dwight

Dates of residency: 1877 - 

Interesting facts: From "Gouldie Reunion 1992", compiled by several members of the Gouldie family under the leadership of Irene Gouldie Clayton and Bob & Pat Gouldie, donated to the Dwight Public Library, January 1993.

Archie Gouldie, early pioneer citizen of Dwight, came a couple of years after his brother Edmund around 1877.

There was no "Dwight" at that time - just a small cabin built by Ed on the shore of the lake.

He married Miss Annie Bradley in 1889.  Mr. Gouldie followed the gradual development of the locality and when tourist interests commenced, he took many parties in charge as a guide and became widely known in this capacity.  Later with the aid of Mrs. Gouldie they established one of the first tourist houses in the Dwight area, known as Gouldie House.  Rates were six to seven dollars a week.  At first it could only accommodate a few guests but soon was enlarged to accommodate 70 to 90 guests.  Mr. Gouldie had the first blacksmith shop and also acted as local undertaker in the village.  He made caskets and Mrs. Gouldie was midwife for the early settlers.  She delivered almost every baby in the community.

They raised a family of three; Helen, pre-deceased at a very young age; Esther (Mrs. Frank Keown) and Goldsby.

In 1913 the Gouldies lost their home by fire.  They lost all their belongings, including Esther's wedding trousseau.  This was in November when the fire occurred.  Fred Quinn started up his mill and cut lumber for a new home which was built quickly with the help of good neighbours.  Water at that time was drawn from the lake on a stone boat by horses.  Later a pipeline was laid with only a hand pump outside.  There were only outside facilities for some years.

They ran a small grocery store and in 1916 took over the Post Office.  Archie was the third postmaster of Dwight.  Mrs. Gouldie did her own cooking at the lodge for some years.  She was a remarkable woman helping with work for the church, etc.  She was a member of St. Peter's Presbyterian Church, Charter member of the Women's Association and Women's Institute.  They gave their dining room for many dances, box socials, pie socials, etc. in order to raise funds for the building of the Women's Institute Hall.  Mail came by boat in summer.  Mrs. Gouldie served the noon meal to the mail drivers who came from Port Cunnington, Birkendale, etc.  They would meet there to pick up mail from Huntsville when it arrived.  It came by stage in winter, sometimes early and sometimes late depending on weather and roads.  The meal cost was $0.35 and a real meal it was.  

Mr. Gouldie passed away July 14, 1934.  Mrs. Gouldie passed away January 5, 1938.  The lodge was sold many times.  It is now under the name of Northland Lodge.

Preceding landowner: Edmund Gouldie (brother)

Succeeding landowner:

Link to Settlers of Algonquin Highlands family tree Archbald G. Gouldie 1860 -