Location: Eyre Township
Officially Named: by Ontario Geographic Names Board. December 11, 1992
According to Peter Schleifenbaum, "Its name originates from a depot which was established at the lake during the White Pine logging period in the l 870s at Haliburton Forest". (Source: Schleifenbaum, P. (1993) Haliburton Forest Fishing Guide. Haliburton, Ontario: Haliburton Forest & Wild Life Reserve Ltd. 29)
Another version of the story is that "Depot Lake was the site of two camps, one located where the Blue Hunt Camp is now, another at the opposite end. The latter was truly a depot, earning the lake its name, because from 1874 to 1881 it collected supplies for camps at Rainbow, Sawyer, Rock, and Wildcat (south end) Lakes" (Source: Stitt, M. (1994) The Forest & the Trees: historical roots of the Haliburton Forest & Wild Life Reserve. Haliburton, Ontario: Haliburton Forest & Wild Life Reserve Ltd., 27.
The above information came from: Discovering the (Hi)story of Haliburton Through Its Lakes' Names by Elinor Whidden, a student report prepared for Trent University - Bioregionalism Course, 1998. From the U-Links Centre for Community-Based Research Collection.