Thomas Jones Store

Geographic location: Lot 25, Conc. 3, Stanhope

Current address: 10458 Hwy 118 East, Algonquin Highlands

Date range: TBD to present

Interesting facts:

This store was a general mercantile and the post office operated by Thomas Jones Sr (b. 1833). In 1911, the Maple Lake post office changed its name to Mill Hill but changed it back in 1912. This original location of the Maple Lake post office and farmhouse made the news in 1897 when William Henry Sawyer died after sustaining a savage beating from two local men. One was reputed to be a jealous husband! Source: Stanhope Heritage Driving Tour brochure

Ralph Joyce, who married one of the Jones daughters, built the second Jones store, built and lived in the house recently owned by Gerald Bain, and also built the stone pillars supporting the porches on the Welch house.

Public access: No     Current use: Private residence

Photo 1: Thomas Jones home. Source: Stanhope Museum collection
Photo 2: Thomas Jones store. Source: Stanhope Museum Collection / P. Marshall

Photo i3: Thos. Jones Store Ad