Geographic location: Lot 26, Conc. 3, Stanhope
Current address: 10484 Hwy 118 East, Algonquin Highlands
Date range: c1865 to present
Around 1865, the first public school in the region was built here. In 1908 the original log building was replaced by the white frame building that still stands today. In 1920, it was determined that there were enough students to support two schools.
In 1921, a new, larger S.S. No. 2, Upper Maple Lake was opened in a new location, as was the newly created S.S. #5, Lower Maple Lake. In the 1930s, this schoolhouse was used as a private home by George Fader and later the building was home to a shop called Audrey's Consignments. The school, along with Thomas Jones' store, the post office, and a blacksmith shop made up the 'hamlet' of Maple Lake. Information source: Stanhope Heritage Driving Tour brochure; Teacher's Log in the General Register of SS No.5, Stanhope.
The log building opened about 1870 immediately east of Thomas Jones’s store on Lot 26, C3. Today this location is the SE corner of Hwy 118 and the 25th Line. A 2nd new frame structure (built immediately behind – to the south of) replaced the log building in 1908 and closed in 1921; it still stands and is privately owned. 3rd a new frame structure on L30, C5 opened in 1921 on what is now Airport Road, and closed in June of 1966; although much modified, it still stands as a private home.
Maple Lake School Teacher Wanted, Fenelon Falls Gazette, 29 Apr 1904
Maple Lake Teacher Wanted Again, Watchman Warder (1899), 20 Feb 1908
Public access: No
Current use: Empty building
Photo 1: Undated photo of a teacher and students in front of the S.S. No. 2 Maple Lake building that was erected in 1908. Source: Stanhope Museum / P. Marshall
Photo 2: MacBrien Twins at School cir 1906: taken at SS #2 Maple Lake - old log building. Vera Cowen and Berta Dawson. Photo from Marlene Welch who inherited from Tom Welch who is in the photo. Source: Peter Hewitt’s Photo Collection ‘Mac Brien Twins at School cir 1906'.
Photo 3: George Fader & his wife Lizzie with Pat & Carolyn Harrison standing in front of their home, the former S.S. No. 2 Maple Lake. Source: Stanhope Museum / P. Marshall.