Peterson Post Office - 1862 to 1876

Geographic location: The location of the Post Office moved about as it was housed in the home of the current Postmaster.  All offices were within a 1/2 mile radius of the junction of the Bobcaygeon and Peterson Roads.

Current address: N/A

Date range: Feb 1, 1862 to Nov 1, 1876


Edward Sisson, Feb 1, 1862 to Jan 2, 1863 -  Mr. Sisson moved to the Carnarvon area, where years later he became Postmaster. It is believed that he lived just south of the Peterson Road at this time, which would place his residence in either Anson or Minden Township.

Walter Dickey, Jun 10, 1863 to Oct 25, 1864 at  Lot 2 Conc. A, Stanhope -  Mr. Dickey resigned his position, and the office was closed, as no one in the immediate area willing to take on the job.

Peter Dawson, Mar 1, 1867 to 1868 - The office reopened at Mr. Dawson's home, somewhere on Lots 1,2,3,4, Conc. 1, Stanhope.  A vacancy was created when Mr. Dawson moved to the Maple Lake area. His property was taken over by his sons.

William Jarvis, Oct 1, 1868 to Nov 1, 1876 -  Mr. Jarvis's home was destroyed by fire, and no other person in the vicinity was willing to take on the job, so the office was closed. Shortly thereafter, William Jarvis and his family emigrated to the United States.

The local settlers were anxious to have the post office reopened so that they did not have to travel to Minden to get their mail. 

In early 1878, the regional Postal Inspector, R.K. Barker, headquartered in Kingston, recommended reopening the post office at the home of James Carr at Lot 1, Conc. A, Hindon Township, approximately 1/4 mile north of the junction, and renaming it Peterson's Corners to avoid confusion with the Patterson Post Office in York County.

At the same time, he recommended that if this suggestion was approved, that the mail route be continued north to Pritchard's at Boskung and that an office be located at the home of Joseph Beatty.

Information sources: