Geographic location: Lot 11, Conc. 7, Stanhope
Current address: 16941 Hwy 35, Algonquin Highlands
Date range: Mid 1930s to early 1970s
- John James Hewitt & his wife Cora May Cumming - 1935 to c.1938 - The small general store/post office with gas pump was destroyed by fire.
- Charles W. Watson - 1940's to early 1950's - The family operated a bowling alley, dance hall, post office, snack bar and general store. The bowling alley, dance hall, post office and storage area were destroyed by fire for the second time in two years in the very early 1950's. The bowling alley and dance hall were very popular, especially with the students at the U of T Forestry School (later the Frost Centre). A group from the school had been bowling earlier in the evening of the fire. Mr. Watson said in a newspaper article that they would not rebuild again.
- Charles Hone and his wife Harriett Drinkwater - about 10 years from the early 1950s to early 1960s. The Hones had a small snack bar, post office, and rented canoes and rowboats.
- Charles/Elsa Blair - early 1960's to c.1972.
Public access: Yes
Current use: The Buttermilk Falls Resort occupies this property today.
Information source: The Stanhope Museum has photos, local newspaper clippings, a map of Boshkung Lake showing its location, and cancellation stamps to verify its existence. Also the accounts of relatives of former operators and stories from campers at Camp Calumet who posted their letters home while buying ice cream and other treats at the post office/snack bar add much to the story.
We are currently asking Library and Archives Canada for information about this post office.