Geographic location: Lot 29, Conc A, Ridout Township
Current address: Main Street, Dorset
Date range: 1884 to present
Interesting facts: A rough construction of St. Mary Magdalene's was completed by April 1894, with much interior and exterior work planned. Although the church was able to be used for service, the first recorded Anglican service was held a year later on April 16, 1895. This first church building was destroyed by fire in 1906. The church was quickly rebuilt and opened its doors for service on September 1, 1907.
When the Lake of Bays Anglican Parish was formed in 1955, St. Mary's gained its first resident minister, Rev. Roy Nixon.
In 1962 St. Mary Magdalene underwent substantial renovations including dismantling of existing porch, a larger entrance being added to the building, and interior upgrades to create an annex within the building.
In September 1976, the congregation welcomed servers from St. Joseph's church in Bramalea, near Toronto. With their help, the church's old paint was scraped off and a fresh coat applied.
Public access: Yes
Current use: Church
Information source: Algoma University archives
Photo information & source: