Settler of township lots: Lots 8 & 9, Conc. 9, Stanhope
Location: Map point is the 100 acre Lot 9, Conc. 9 west of Halls Lake village
Land acquisition: 1905 George Fader purchased both lots from James Welch. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Images 34 & 36).
Other land: North part Lot 31, Conc. 3, Stanhope: 1907 from George Morrison; 1938 to Cecil Cooper. Ontario Land Parcel Register - Stanhope (Image 476).
Dates of residency:
Other Land: Lot 32, Conc. 4 (south of Hwy 118 opposite Ablett Court east of Busy Rd)
Interesting facts: q
George Fader's father, Joseph, was one of five brothers who left their Dutch home near the German border to seek fortune in the new world. Some sources say he lived in Quebec before settling at Winchester, between Upper Canada Village and Ottawa, and marrying a Yankee-Irish girl. In 1883 the Fader family including 15 year old George travelled to Stanhope where they had bought the old Francis Jones farm; John Smith from the 30th line drove the Faders in from Haliburton on his wagon. In Quest of Yesterday by Nila Reynolds. Published by The Provisional County of Haliburton, Minden, Ontario 1973 pg. 328
George Fader at 99 years old mixed mortar for John Billing, architect of St. Peter's Church. Of his work, Mr. Fader had this to say, "Billings was a perfectionist. Time meant nothing if the job was done right." Source: Ibid pg. 324
Preceding landowner: 1879 James Welch received 100 acres Free Grant from The Crown