Geographic location: Lot 15, Conc. 4, Stanhope
Current address: 1123 North Shore Rd
Date range: 1910 to present
Interesting facts: This quaint little building was the township's first council chambers, used from 1910 to 1946. It was also home to square dances and community meetings. It was moved from near the Beech River to its current location in 1996 and opened as the township's community museum a year later.
The Stanhope Museum is home to more than 140 years of records and artifacts. This Ontario museum specializes in local pioneer history. The museum is one of Ontario's smaller museums but it has one of the largest archives of Ontario pioneer history and records.
The site is also home to the Stanhope Heritage Garden which contains plants of historic interest to Stanhope Township. Some plants are native to this region and settlers have brought others in.
The garden pays homage to the pioneers who adapted their farming and gardening knowledge to the climate at the height of settlement in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Public access: The museum is open Mid-June through Mid-September.
Go to http://www.stanhopemuseum.on.ca for the current hours of operation.
Current use: Museum
Information source: Stanhope Heritage Driving Tour brochure / Stanhope Museum collection
Photo information & source: Stanhope Museum collection