Geographic location: Lot 11, Conc. 6. Stanhope
Current address: 1554 Boshkung Lake Rd. On Boshkung Lake.
Date range: 1940s to present
Dinosaurs: These stone giants were built in the 1940s by camp staff and kids. The Calumet property has been subdivided into cottage lots and only two dinosaurs, one named Ogosaurus Sapiens, remain visible and they represent a million memories. Source:Stanhope Heritage Driving Tour brochure / Stanhope Museum collection
In his 1966 Collection of Sketches, "Boys and Girls Camps", Clayton Rogers tells the story of the "development of camps for Boys and Girls - a very necessary part of this modern life. Calumet Camp, owned and managed by Mr & Mrs Garnet Bailey, has been operating for some twenty to twenty-five years. Calumet operates camp for both boys and girls with room for 150 - 175 exclusive of staff."
Public access: Yes, from Boshkung Lake Rd
Current use: Private property
Photo information & source:
1. Camp Calumet Dinosaurs. Carol Moffatt
2. Camp Calumet Tent Line from Carol Moffatt's postcard collection:
3.Camp Calumet 1953 from Carol Moffatt's postcard collection: